Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Facing Future


"Nothing is free in the land of the free." -- Russell Banks


Like a drug addict who can't take one hit without wanting one more, I don't seem capable of opening Facebook without making a single comment and letting it go. I want more. Combined with my seemingly insatiable curiosity about what's happening in cybersphere, Facebook is my entry drug.

Through FB I've reconnected with friends, relatives and classmates from as far back as first grade, before stereophonic sound, before Elvis and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. There is an inherent bond with those "friends" that transports me into a pure and wistful nostalgia as though time stands still.

My hometown of Pomona, Calif., has a FB group page with historic photos, stories of people I remember, places where I grew up, purchased my first bicycle, experienced my first date and played sports  It is a tremendously popular page. I voyeuristically revisit those early years through the simple touch of a keystroke.

These are elements of FB that I enjoy, where I get my "high." I realize I'm exposing myself to huge audience of advertisers, spies, voyeurs and trolls who doubtless do not have my best interests in mind, nor my family's. Yet I continue to happily hand over free personal information to them: what I "like" "love" what makes me "laugh" and "care" and say "wow" about.  Sometimes with a photo of myself, just to confirm my identity. 

You're welcome, FB.

I watched the 2020 Netflix film, The Social Dilemma, about the evils of FB, most notably the motivations behind building a mega storehouse of personal data about private citizens.  Don't fool yourself, they say, the platform is not designed for our personal welfare but the well being of FB. Most convincing are the producers of the film -- the same folks who were involved in the creation of social media -- who have quit FB, and presumably all social media. 

The've hightailed it to Hawaii and live in multi-million-dollar yurts amid plumeria, breadfruit and papaya trees. With good wifi connections.

After several years of being an active user, I quit FB cold-turkey a couple of months before the election. Buoyed by my initial enthusiasm, I was able to let go for a few weeks, not even sneak a peek of what my friends were up to. I felt relief. That lasted until shortly following the election, when I chose to browse through my FB news feed.

I found the familiar look-at-me posts from the usual suspects. What a life some have, compared to my modest accomplishments. It's an easy habit. I've posted my share of look-at-me's. The realization hits that those who are truly successful do not post on FB.

I've tried to keep my number of "friends" low -- around 200 -- and hold that figure to people I actually know, rather than assemble an impressive number to show the reach of my popularity, or expand my "audience." Easier said than done. You meet new friends and want to keep in touch, share your thoughts and experiences. You receive friend requests from those who share your opinions. Do you "friend" them? 

My wife, who is not on FB, gives me that skeptical look: "Do you really have 200 friends?"

Since we're locked down and sheltering, FB makes socializing easy. Being a news junkie, I also enjoy catching items that I would otherwise miss. Thru FB, I discovered the astute and incredible daily reporting of Heather Cox Richardson. I also found myself in an uncomfortable tet-a-tet with an old friend. We worked it out, acknowledging two different political-cultural realities.

A recent piece in the New York Times how FB incubated insurrection presents a documented argument of the power and influence of FB through spreading propaganda. Some individuals seeking recognition and acceptance find status and popularity by posting conspiracy theories. Apparently there's a wide audience for grievance. Group pages are more difficult to monitor, they can spread conspiracies like a novel virus.

My hometown group page is carefully monitored by a "web master." Incendiary and political opinions are not allowed. I realize this is a good thing that will likely ensure longevity and credibility for the page. Although easier on the nerves, it still fixes you in the FB nexus.

My dilemma of whether or not to use FB is a question of will power. Can I be a "light user"? Can I refrain from jumping into political spats, not post photos of everywhere I go, control my urge to proselytize, while continuing to scan my news feed, offering a "like" here and there? Keep it simple. 

My birthday came and I received many kind wishes. It felt good, and humbling, on an otherwise hapless day of bad news and isolation during COVID. 

Can I have a daily glass of wine without becoming a wino? 

If a tree falls somewhere on FB and I don't know about it, did it really fall?

I'll just take a quick look-see. No harm in that.









 














No comments:

Post a Comment