Tuesday, August 24, 2021

The Stones' Straight Man

Charlie Watts, 1941-2021

Around 1964 when I was in high school, my buddies and I knew the names of all the Rolling Stones. There was Mick Jagger, the sly lead singer, Keith Richards on guitar, Brian Jones on guitar, Bill Wyman on bass guitar and Charlie Watts, the poker faced drummer. They were the antidote for the Beatles.

Our high school house parties were known for drinking, smoking, making out and goofing off, all to the music of the Rolling Stones. Each high school in our pocket of Southern California had their party band -- be they surfers or greasers -- and ours was the Rolling Stones. 

Their blues-based sound was raw with a defiant tone, certainly more dangerous than the high-pitched harmonies of the Beach Boys or the smooth styling of Marvin Gaye, who had their followings.

Little did we know that Charlie Watts, whose death was announced yesterday at age 80, was an essential ingredient to the music of the Stones. He was a jazz drummer, not a rock n' roller. Reportedly, it took a while for Keith to convince Charlie that Elvis was the real deal.

Charlie would have been happier playing in small clubs with Miles Davis or Charlie Parker. The Stones dug into their pockets to hire Watts as their man with the sticks.

When "Satisfaction" hit the top of the charts in 1965, I counted the minutes every hour until the song was played again on KHJ Los Angeles AM radio. I turned up the sound on my car dial and sang along, loudly.

When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man come on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more about some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination
I can't get no, oh, no, no, no, hey, hey, hey
That's what I say
I can't get no satisfaction, I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no
"Watt's backbeat gave early hits like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" steady testosterone drive, and later tracks like "Tumbling Dice" and "Beast of Burden" a languid strut," according to Ben Sisario in the New York Times."
"To me, Charle Watts was the secret essence of the whole thing," Keith Richards wrote in his 2010 memoir, Life.
One reporter referred to Watts as the world's "politest man." When the guys started to party, Charlie hit the sack. He was married to the same woman for 50 years. When the guys were debauching, Charlie was pressing his tailored suits. His appearance was in dire contrast to the flamboyant outfits of Jagger and Richards. He looked like their accountant.
His drumming style, too, was the essence of understatement. He played with economy of motion, hitting the back-beat a micro-second behind Richard's aggressive lead guitar. Emotionless. Steady. Reliable.
I regret that I have never attended a Rolling Stones concert. Like Charlie, I prefer smaller more intimate settings. I doubt that he would have attended a Stones' concert if he weren't in the band. Yet I've always looked forward to hearing their latest work. And I'll never tire of listening to the Stones' classic tunes that always spark a youthful uproar from my past.
Thanks, Mr. Watts. May you rest in peace. 




4 comments:

  1. I first saw the Stones the year I graduated from PC, Hollywood Bowl 1966- $5 ticket ! They were young & so was I. The last time was in Seattle in 2020. I’m usually frugal with my money, but the investment in good Stones tickets has always been worth the price. Charlie was a.gentleman, impeccably dressed and an amazing musician . You will be missed, thank you for the 57 years of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well said tribute. Yup, I too can still sing those Stones songs by heart. Mick still in the spotlight, while Charlie kept the beat. Another amazing musician, now dearly departed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally got to see the Stones here about 6 years ago and they were of course fabulous. That these guys are still alive is a testimonial to luck and modern medical care. Charlie Watts survived drug addiction and laryngeal throat cancer. Many of us think Keith isn't actually alive anyway. But no one can argue the vast bucket of wonderful music they produced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was in the School year of 1963-1964 that my British, "english composition" teacher would play the Stones during a free writing
    session. I loved their energy and as you say Kevs "their defiant
    tone".

    ReplyDelete