Thursday, November 18, 2021

Come All Ye Faithful


I haven't published anything

on my blog for a few weeks, since the World Series, which was won by the Atlanta Braves. I did write a story about spooky Halloween trick-or-treaters that mentioned the final WS game and the Mexican celebration of the Day of the Dead. 

I may have tried to cram too many subjects into two pages. Although it is surprising how much you can say with little space. Space is all we really have. That, and faith.

I read my Halloween-etc story to my writing group but never posted it. 

Reading out loud to an audience is the best way to understand what written words sound like, where the inflections should be, if the rhythm and pace are working, if I can pronounce the words. Often I cannot. Is it com-pare-a-ble, or compra-ble? Is it lever (as in Leave it to Beaver) or (I drove my Chevy to the levy) leh-ver?

By the time I felt ready to post the Halloween story, it seemed as stale as a three-day-old bagel. Thanksgiving and the holiday season were approaching at break-neck speed. So I started a piece about Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday, which led me into a few rabbit holes and I wasn't digging where I was going. 

As we approach the festive season, we remember seasons of yore, some of which didn't go as well as we had hoped. Like when Uncle Edgar helped himself to one too many cocktails and the ceiling came down. Or it seemed that way when he began insulting the hosts who knew better than to invite him in the first place. The guy who never says a word until that sixth bourbon and water.

That's not mentioning the searingly hot subject of politics at a family gala. There's more than a turkey on the table.

The stakes are higher than ever because of COVID. Raise your hand if you've had it. It's astonishing how many have been afflicted, and are still alive to talk about it.

And you received two vaccinations? A breakthrough. Is there a better word? Like breakdown.

So we have a rebellious daughter who is not vaccinated, doesn't believe in it, never has, never will. All politics are phony, pharmaceutical corporations are bent on greed, mainstream news feeds on fear and injecting toxins into your body is dangerous to your health.

She relies upon manifesting her desires by calling upon Mother Universe and all the far galaxies of orbiting stars that have already spun out but were -- err, are -- a few light years ahead and the past is future and we may, as integral parts of the whole, overcome our traumas from past lives before they even happen.

In other words: herd immunity.

I've had two vaccines and a booster.

I am basically a rule follower. I have faith.

Fauci the expert says do it and I do. It's my nature. In Fauci I trust. I realize that there are many here amongst us who sincerely believe that Fauci is the Devil. Or drop the "D." A rapacious capitalist animal torturer.

Go on Facebook if you don't believe me.

Don't mention FB to me, though. I swore off after I heard that Zuckerberg changed the name to Meta. (cue Twilight Zone theme.)

Knowing how Z looks when he gets an idea in head scares the hell out of me. You've seen the photos. Is he for real? He may be one of those avatars. I know he's digital. Saw it on Instagram.

I just want a peaceful holiday season with my family and the in-laws. Can't we just get along for a few hours. Okay, minutes. Talk about sports and music. Maybe play music. Eat pie. Dance a little.  We surely can.

But what if they're not vaccinated? Are they invited.? Do we not get together in an indoor environment with our daughter and grandchildren because they are unvaccinated? What about my 96-year-old great-grandma-mother-in-law? She's had all her shots. 

If we make it through this Holiday Season unscathed. At peace in one piece. It will be a miracle.

I believe in miracles.

As Sister Gualberta said: Faith overcomes doubt. Faith is not knowing but believing.

I'm going into the holidays with a hopeful spirit, a great measure of faith, looking forward to a martini on Christmas Eve.

Cheers!

There: I got a jump on the holidays. Do I still have to go shopping?






2 comments:

  1. "All politics are phony, pharmaceutical corporations are bent on greed, and injecting toxins into your body is dangerous to your health." True. Yet the statement has nothing to do with vaccinations.
    ". . . can't we all get along?" Rodney King.
    Today the U.S. is so fractured/divided by an abundance of lies by the phony politicians, indigenous ignorance toward science, and the inability to know right from wrong on the internet, the answer to King's question is no.
    Homo Sapiens came to the top of the food chain through the development of bipedalism, a bigger brain, an opposing thumb, and the ability to communication and work together. No more.
    Bye Bye American Pie. Hello Egg Foo Young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number of provocative phrases/sentences in this piece. I like the notion of faith as a leap. That's all I can do. As usual, appreciate your writing, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete