Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Year of Living Hopefully



Driving my car

through town on a recent overcast morning a skateboarder appeared in the left corner of my windshield. My foot slammed on the brakes, my car skidded left as I gripped right. My reaction was faster than my thinking. 

I spotted a human figure through my rearview mirror, head-covered in dark clothes, grab his or her skateboard and tenderly walk across the street to the sidewalk. Maybe he realized how close he came to being hit, possibly killed. 

I found myself trembling. 

So close.

I was reminded that things can change in an instant. 

So precious. This life.

Every second. A gift.

Here in Santa Cruz we move in close quarters with pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders, tourists and clueless wanderers. It behooves us all to stay alert.

As 2021 comes to a close, I want to shout out a "thank you" to those who take a moment to read my scribbles. It's been a roller-coaster year of hope one day and fear the next, mainly due to COVID and its increasingly contagious variants. The partisan rancor of a divided nation also plagues us. Thanks for hanging in there.

Two of my readers, that I know of, passed away this year, although not from COVID: Bill O'Hara, a longtime friend from high school, and Lee Quarnstrom, a writer with a resume to match Damon Runyon. They both lived the high life. I salute them.

As I face my 75th birthday next month, I consider that three-quarters of a century puts me on the short end of the curve. Now's the time to write that novel and tell my sister that I love her.

My beautiful wife Barbara celebrates her 73rd birthday today. Happy birthday, honey. We will mark our 40th anniversary of marriage on Christmas Eve. Thanks for believing in me, sweetheart. I love you. We met as neighbors on a circular street, two pilgrims clinging to the bend in the road. 

We raised three independent, gifted daughters, Molly, Vanessa and Bryna, who have contributed intelligence, compassion and levity to the world. We came together with each of them this year, and husbands Jason and Mike, as well as their children Summer, Piper, Samson, Finn, Viva and Mystiko, although never all at one time. 

I yearn for the day when we can all sit together.

We shall dance and howl as we have in the past. Drink wine. Take walks at sunset. Eat donuts at sunrise. Listen to good music. Savor delectable meals. Tell stories. Smell the roses. Laugh our heads off.

May you all embrace love, hope and happiness this holiday season and into the new year.

Drive carefully.



























5 comments: