Friday, September 2, 2022

Thrice Told Tale

Fractal geometric design in which any chosen smaller or larger part is similar when magnified.

You may have noticed a drop in the number of Talking Surf Stories you've received lately. This is because my production level has hit a snag. I've been stuck. 

Everything I've written I've torn up and tossed in the trash. I like to blame it on my spider bite which turned into a case of infectious cellulitis in my left leg. I thought I was out of the woods and back on my feet only to discover that the antibiotics I had taken to fight cellulitis caused a second infection diagnosed as clostridium difficile, aka c-diff.

C-diff is an inflammation of the colon. It's serious. In some cases it can be fatal. My doctor put me on new antibiotic, vancomycin, to negate the c-diff. With the new antibiotic bailing me out of a miserable few days of severe diarrhea, I figured I could move around, try some gentle yoga.

While attempting a simple cat pose with my toes bent, I encountered a new pain in the second toe of my right foot. Within a day that toe swelled to the size of large sausage the color of deep purple. Simple, I thought, I'll just massage that foot and see if I can hasten a quick recovery.

Wrong. That foot followed suit, and puffed up as if I had inflated it with an air pump. This was my heretofore good foot. What was going on?

At urgent care the next morning, the doc showed concern because of recent cellulitis in my left foot and leg. Could it have traveled to my right foot? He called the infectious disease doc and after commiseration decided to put me back on antibiotics to treat possible cellulitis, while also extending the vancomycin as a preventive measure against more c-diff.

I found myself on double antibiotics. The battle in my body was incurring yet another invader. 

I'm not a guy who likes pills or staying put. I've got to go, walk, bicycle, practice tai chi, surf, be active. What about my doggie who needs to be walked?

It's been two months and the act of a simple walk around the block is tres difficile. My feet hurt. It could be arthritis, tendinitis or gout. I'll take door door number 4: none of the above.

This is the short version. Talk to my wife, or my psychiatrist, and you will hear the long, incommodious version accompanied by violin, as I've explained it to a stable of doctors.

I forgot to mention the aggravating internal itching I've been dealing with. Ever felt like your skin, that sack of flesh that holds your body together, is your enemy?

Hey, it's all fun and games with a dose of aging. I know it could be worse. Much worse. I could have shingles, or been taken hostage by the MAGA cartel. I already feel forced to watch and hear the former guy over-and-over every time I pick up the news: a horror rerun that would have Edgar Allen Poe on his knees pleading.

I didn't know he was still President.

I can't walk a mile but I can see a mile's worth of yellow-orange hair on every station and newspaper. 

This is the best I can do. Every moment is precious. My family is wonderful. My friends are great. Note to self: don't delete.

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!








13 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Old age is not for sissies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Kevin - sending all the best vibes to get the monsters out of your body for good. Ai yi yi being on antiobiotics is no fun but still thank the gods they are available. I recently have had a worsening of arthritis in my right big toe joint. Nothing like you're describing but a bitch to realize that rolling through my feet is no longer possible during yoga, or anytime. The pleasures of aging. Love to you and Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb! Sounds like all that ballet on your toes left its mark, so to speak. I'm slowly getting better with hesitancy that I could trigger something new, or regress. Don't know if I'll be rolling through my feet jumping up on a surfboard again. Pleasures of age, indeed. Love to you and yours!

      Delete
  3. Very good until you get political - sorry. It is gratuitous and distracting to the excellent narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cellulitis in both feet?! Sounds terrible! Sleep well and eat well and be well. I hope to see you soon. Thank the writing gods that we don't write with our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. It’s hard to accept our aging bodies are less reliable than we thought and that any dumb thing can slow us down or take us out. So we get the surgery, swallow the pill, take the test, shuffle off to another appointment, and make time to be grateful for medical professionals and the chance to resume our favorite activities. You’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy hearing your comments. If you wish to not be anonymous, so I don't have to guess who you are, you can sign in through a Google account, with a username and password. This blog is on a Google platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha, neighbor. Reading this grieves me ...hate it that you're hurting through waves of treatment and we're afraid you won't want to come back. Do you have a DPT physical therapist on that team of helpers? If not, try find one. They come at it differently, help strengthen some parts or keep you from hurting other parts. If you were here I'd drive you myself to North Shore Wellness Center and turn you over to Noah. Keep fighting. Those kids need a grandpa!

      Delete
  7. Luckily for people like us, the wisdom compensates for the pain :) I know you will feel better, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Mike! It takes a wise man to know this. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I tear up reading this last missive, Kevin. How much more will you be subjected to? When I wrote the email this morning, I had not yet this blog. Oh dear. All I can say is through your finely chosen words, I can feel your strength. And as for the political: the personal is political. Thanks always for sharing these personal essays of a life temporary on the rocks. You will endure!

    ReplyDelete