Saturday, September 23, 2023

Welcome Singapore!

Although Singapore is one of the most modern cities in the world (actually a nation-state), heritage buildings are treasured.

I don't know much about you, but from what I've read, you've got a very tidy nation with a rich, diverse culture. 

Let me begin with a huge "thank you" for viewing my blog -- more than 4,000 hits over the past 30 days!

My initial reaction was astonishment! What the hell?! Can you say, hell, in Singapore? I think you can. I know you cannot chew gum.

I understand that Singaporeans read body and facial expressions over the spoken word. I think that's cool. I wonder what you would think of a guy like former President of the USA Donald Trump?

You cannot believe a word he says, yet his body language says it all: lazy, unkempt, showy, overweight, troubled, insincere, arrogant.

We can take a lesson from you regarding communication. Although we can show you the value of free expression in which I can say such things about our government leaders.

Fun zone in Singapore

The closest I've been to Asia is Hawaii, where the population includes Pacific Islanders, Japanese, Taiwanese, Filipino, Burmese, Chinese as well as haoles, or white people. I find the Asian influence comforting, the people tend to be friendly and family oriented. 

I believe the ancients of the East -- characters like Confucius, Lao-Tsu and Buddha -- imparted great wisdom. I have been a devoted practitioner of Yoga for many years.

Your interest in my blog has created a desire in me to visit Singapore! I trust that we share a common spirit. On the other hand, your enormous interest could be an AI-type of robotic glitch, or ---- hack.

But let's not go there. If it is a hack, I have nothing worth hacking. I am a simple man. 

I am impressed by your breakdown of religions: 31-percent Buddhist, 19-percent Christian, 16-percent Muslim (predominantly Sunni),  9-percent Taoist,  5-percent Hindu. And 30-percent no religion, out of a total population of 4-million.

I find the Taoist religion most intriguing: the four principles being:

1. Simplicity, patience and compassion

2. Going with the flow -- when nothing is done, nothing is left undone

3. Letting go -- if you realize all things will change, there is nothing you will hold on to

4. Harmony.

I have learned of the Tao, or the Way, but didn't realize it was a practicing religion. I subscribe to those principles. As much as I can. My Western upbringing and our dominant culture in the U.S. are heavily slanted toward a materialistic reality, so it's not an easy row-to-hoe. Row-to-hoe is a metaphor that could possibly be compared, or I should say, contrasted, to the Way of Taoism.

I consider row-to-hoe more of a servile reference, as is the predominant principle of Western culture, again based on meritorious material gain rather than communal spiritual enlightenment.

I wonder if you've picked up this theme in my blogs? Perhaps that is what you find curious or interesting in my pieces? I prefer to believe that. If we can influence the world in this way, we may be able to save our planet.


I understand Singapore has been called a City in a Garden and is considered a green city and financial center of Southeast Asia. We had a friend who was sent there in the Eighties as an employee of a company called Seagate, an early tech company based in Santa Cruz County. Her work schedule prevented her from exploring your culture. She might as well have stayed in the US.

I hear there are many expats in Singapore and that board surfing is popular on your island. The waves are small but fun. Maybe that's how you heard about my blog? It was originally called Talking Surf Stories.

Established in the 13th Century, the name Singapore, originally Singapura in Sanskrit, means Lion City.  That's cool. I understand that Singlish is a slang spoken there, a combination of languages including English. I'd like to hear it.

Mahalo (thank you in Hawaiian) for checking my blog. I would enjoy hearing from you.

About chewing gum being out lawed in your country: The only gum I ever liked was bubble gum when I was a kid. I'm over that. I go with the flow.










2 comments:

  1. No surprise that your blogs should interest people from faraway lands, Kevin. Thank you for teaching me about blogging so that I could produce my set of eleven from our journeys this past summer! Congratulations on your notoriety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a short visit for a PATA convention awhile ago, but I loved Singapore! Despite the equatorial heat. Welcome and food spectacular. doilies in the cabs. Wonder how it is now....

    ReplyDelete