Friday, November 6, 2020

Post Election Blues



I believe I've gotta a case of post election blues. Four days after the General Election without a declared winner has left me in a weird bubble of nada.

My left ear itches and the right side of my jaw hurts. The second toe on my left foot feels like I kicked a steel post and my right knee is numb.

I have no feeling in my upper cranium.

My sense of smell is very bad. Everything seems to stink.

My iPhone erupts every five minutes with an alert that does not tell me anything I don't already know.

Although I thought Biden had won Arizona. That was Election night. I swear I saw that on my screen. The next morning Arizona was grey not blue, waiting for more votes. As of today, Arizona remains unknown.

The President, in his usual unhinged way, declared he had won the Election, said there are some very bad people. He said "fraud." He tweeted "STOP THE COUNT". He's got a thing for all caps. And lawyers. He loves to sue. There would be no fraud if he were winning.

Quote of the week, from one of his handlers: "No one wants to tell King Lear that he he's losing."

I scrambled a couple of eggs. Not my usual breakfast. 

I have done more yard work in the past three days than I did all last year. I have been tediously clipping leaves by hand. My right hand has been nipped and clipped by branches, drawing blood that flows in bright red streams over my knuckles. The back of my hand is full of those purple marks I get on my arms when anything touches me.

I have not been able to write anything. I simply look for results. Election results. It's been the same for three days: Biden 253, Trump 214.

I want to keep moving not writing.

I watched hours of news, Netflix, even the 49er football game, while performing jumping jacks and tai chi moves in my living room. I practiced yoga on the floor.

I hit a bucket of golf balls. I drank a bunch of beers.

I stayed up all night reading and couldn't remember what I had read. I think I was dreaming. The strangest people from my past have been making cameos in my subconscious. I'm afraid to find out what that means.

The earth-rumbling sound of the bulldozer shoveling rocks next door and pouring them into dump trucks for three days has given me an eye twitch.

The shower in the bathroom continues to drip. I changed the shower head but that didn't help. I checked YouTube for repairing a single-lever shower faucet and discovered I would need about 33 tools. I have about four tools but I don't know where they are: probably under all those boxes in the garage that we had to move due to construction in our studio.

My body is sore from all the bending, digging, hedge-trimming, sweeping. lifting, crawling into the attic, chasing possums in my back yard.

Still, the Election results are not in.

Just a few more days. Joe says have patience. The emperor has filed more lawsuits. The lavender plant needs to be trimmed. I would love to see Georgia turn blue.



1 comment:

  1. Good one, Kevin! Don't fret – I'm sure it's worse for the pigman than it is for you. And keep the faith. Mark Kelly, Gabby Giffords, and Cindy and John McCain are smiling. It looks like Arizona's gonna be blue for a while.

    ReplyDelete