Saturday, May 9, 2020

Brother, Where Art Tao?

Tai Chi Master Skip Rush and me 


When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.  -- Lao Tsu


Sometimes I get a little out there. I exaggerate. I make up stories that are true yet seen only through my eyes. I try to be funny with my tongue in my cheek, yet that is difficult with the written word, when you can't see my cheek.

Let me be clear, as your favorite politician would begin. Let me be clear, I would rather be here on Kauai at this time than any other place in the world.

I joke about being stuck here and driving a rental car on low tire pressure. In my reality, I feel as though I have been stuck here for a reason. The reason doesn't necessarily matter to me, since reasons are only myths made of words. They have no value other than being interesting, worrisome or fun.

I like to choose fun. That can get me into trouble. So I try to be careful. The low-tire-pressure thing is fun to me, a true fact that I attempted to turn into a fun thing.

Recently our North Shore Tai Chi Master has been holding sessions three mornings a week at the shore of Hanalei Bay. I feel guilty telling you this, because to me it sounds like the most wonderful thing in the world. I want to be humble and not brag about it.

How did this happen? Because of Covid, the community center has been closed, so Master Skip has been holding tai chi sessions near the beach. How can he do this? He just does it. We attempt to practice social distancing between morning salutations and honoring the directions.

Facing the bay, my mind often drifts toward the surf lines and the sensations of riding waves. Then I refocus and try to maintain rhythm and balance and mindfulness of being on the ground while moving slowly and gracefully through forms that have been passed down over centuries.

In addition to tai chi form and earnest lessons from the Tao, Skip has gifted to me the uniform of tai chi. I didn't ask. I was just there. You could say, it was meant to be, but that would imply a reason and we've already gone over that.

That last statement was supposed to be funny, yet serious as well. Yin yang. The Master points out that our right hand is yang, the male side, and our left, yin, the feminine side. The sky is yang. The ground is yin.

This is all a meditation. It is miles away from pandemic and mortgage and tire pressure for your car.

"Breathe deeply, fill your abdomen. Now let it out slowly. Let go of the tension."

The release is a revelation.

"Every tai chi move," which we make in slow motion, "is good for your health," according to the Grand Master.

By now you have probably moved on to other things on your mind. I understand. I am just trying to slow things down to make my fun last longer.

"Walk as if your feet don't touch the ground. Move as though you are being blown by the wind. Speak with loving kindness and compassion."     --- Tai Chi Master Skip Rush





No comments:

Post a Comment